Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Cool Ones

Well, I have finally made up my mind, and I am going to repaint one of my guitars. I have been struggling over what to do with it. In some aspects, I guess, less is more, but I want something that really looks cool, and plays well. I guess I could go and spend $1500.00 on a guitar that looks like every other one, or as a matter of badassness (sorry for the French!!!), I thought I would pay respect to one of the kings of guitars, Jimi Hendrix. Although I could never actually play like him, he was an inovator(sp?), and could play like crazy. I actually saw the guitar before I new it was a Hendrix copy, and liked it. I am including a picture of it for your viewing pleasure -I am all about that! Anyways, repainting a guitar is not as easy as picking up some Krylon as Walmart and having a new guitar an hour later.

After doing some research, I found out that Fender actually uses Ford and GM automotive paints for their colors. As luck would have it, I have a friend that works for an autobody repair shop and he has a professional pain gun. How awesome is that? Now it is just a matter of getting the colors and stripping the old guitar of its black finish. Unfortunately, I have to use aircraft paint remover to remove the current finish, that sucks!

Pause - sipping an adult beverage......


The next step is to resurface the guitar and paint the base coat of "Fiest Red". Then, an "Alpine White" is painted across the top of the guitar. After sanding, buffing and touch ups, the guitar is ready to go to the artist who will hand paint the eclectic lines and images. Finally, it goes back to the car guy to receive 3-4 clear coats with sanding and buffing between each coat. Magically, after about a week of work and drying, it returns to me in all its glory. This is one of the cool ones!


Just a little history, this is the same guitar that Hendrix play during the Monterey Pop Festival (1967), and subsequintly light on fire, then smashed all over the stage (what an idiot)!


You are welcome Carri for the mention.


I have figured out that constant ramblin for the Blog-O-Sphere is really a difficult thing, or should I say it is not as easy as I thought? By the way, the Neo-Maxi thing is from the Breakfast Club, one of the essential movies of the 80's. Today is Friday and I don't really feel like being at work today, but God is good and at least I have a job.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, links to other folks blogs really do work as advertisement! I'll be busy for the rest of the day on your archives...

Carri said...

I love the guitar look! You should put my name on it somewhere!:) I love being mentioned in your posts, it make me feel super special!